Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Where'd You Go, Motivation?

I listened to the audiobook of 'Where'd you go, Bernadette?' on Audible a few months ago and it was one of those ones that keeps popping up out of my subconscious every few days.  I liked it a lot, even though while I was listening to it I had mixed feelings.  I attribute that now to the fact that I was in the worst stage of my First Trimester then.  I was exhausted and nauseous most of the time and I suspect I took it out on my opinion of the book.  A friend of mine is listening to it now and I'm just happy I got someone to listen to an audiobook.  I don't want to be the only one in the world to think audiobooks (especially when paired with a smart phone) are freakin awesome.  More on that some other time....

So my motivation for editing has started to trickle to a slow stream.  And not the steady calm after a fast area of rapids on a river (like it was a week or two ago) but more like the drying up part of a stream that happens during a drought.  I'm trying to think of ways to increase precipitation, but I'm worried all it'll take is another rejection to dry up completely.  Hm...no more water metaphors...I think I might start needing to make myself accountable again on my progress.  Maybe track it in the app I used to track my writing with on my phone.  Then also keep daily updates on my progress here on this blog?  Like I had intended to do back when I started this blog and was writing an older version of this same manuscript?  Obviously, that didn't go so well....I kept track here for about 2 weeks (if that), then avoided the blog like I avoided the plague and my writing. 

But as long as I can keep doing a page or two of editing a day, I can expect to actually finish the damn thing...it's not even that daunting, just time consuming.  And I've worked this hard...gotten this far with it...why would I let it fall by the wayside now?  I'll tell you what a little voice inside my head is saying in response to that though...it's saying "because your manuscript is crap"..."because you can never hope to get published"..."because look at all the thousands upon thousands of people in this country trying to do exactly what you're doing...what makes you think you'll be successful??".

Guess I also need to work on ways to shut that voice up...

No comments:

Post a Comment